- 99% of all homes have at least one TV--45% have three or more.
- 56% of all 8 to 16 year olds have a TV in their bedroom.
- A person watches TV an average of 40 days per year.
- Children spend 1,023 hours a year watching TV compared to 900 hours in school.
- 200,000 violent acts, including 16,000 murders, will be seen on TV by children before their 18th Birthday.
- Roughly 70% of all TV shows include sexual content, with an average of five sexual scenes per hour.
- On average, 38.5 minutes per week of meaningful conversation happens between a parent and their child.
Take Action Today:
- Turn off your TV today.
- Designate certain TV free times throughout the week to reduce viewing hours.
- Remove TVs from bedrooms, kitchen, etc.
- Make a list of activities to do besides watching TV--activities like reading, biking, swimming, walking, gardening or socializing with friends. Then start doing them.
- Avoid using TV as a reward--this only increases its power.
- Be more selective about programming and choose history, travel, cooking, home repair/design, and other educational themes.
70% of people say that no matter how hard they try, they never seem to have enough time to do everything they need to do. Are you part of that 70%? If you give up TV for just one day a week, you can exercise for the recommended weekly amount necessary for healthy living, read over 20 books a year, or spend more time with your love ones.